Grown ups

Child and parent disability services

Child and parent disability services

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Disability services, support and information

Children and Young People with Disability Australia (CYDA)
CYDA represents children and young people with disability and their families. The organisation provides information for families, raises public awareness and seeks to improve available services.

Early Childhood Intervention Australia
This organisation promotes early invention for infants and young children with developmental delays or disabilities. It runs workshops, seminars and conferences and has a chapter in each state and territory.

Livewire is an online community for young people with disability or serious illness and their siblings. It has facilitated chat rooms, blogs and articles. Livewire also runs events and activities at hospitals.

MyTime groups are for parents, carers or grandparents of children with a disability or chronic medical condition. The groups meet to socialise, discuss and learn more about the services and supports in their area. They're facilitated by professionals with disability and parenting expertise.

Siblings Australia
This organisation provides support for brothers and sisters of people with additional needs.

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a single, national scheme that funds reasonable and necessary support to help people with disability reach goals throughout life. If you care for a child with disability you might be able to get funding for disability services from the NDIS. The scheme is being introduced in stages throughout Australia. Find out more about the NDIS rollout in your area or call the NDIS on 1800 800 110.

Information for carers

Australian Government Department of Human Services - People with disability
This webpage has information about payments and services to help people living with illness, injury or disability. There's also support for their families or carers.

Australian Government Department of Social Services - Disability and carers
On this webpage, you can find links to information about programs, services, benefits and payments for people with disability and their carers.

Carer Gateway
This Australian Government website has information about services and support for carers. Look for information on the website, use the service finder or call the national helpline - phone 1800 422 737, 8 am-6 pm, Monday-Friday.

Carers Australia
This organisation represents people who look after someone with a disability or chronic illness, or an elderly person. The website has links to the carers association in each Australian state and territory. Carers can get information, advice and support from their local association.

Young Carers Network
Young carers are children and young people up to 25 years who help care in families where someone has an illness, a disability, a mental health issue or an alcohol or other drug problem. This website has information for young carers, families and professionals. Respite services are available for young people who are at risk of not finishing school because they're looking after a family member. For support and assistance, call 1800 242 636.

If your family has a child with additional needs, you might like to visit our sections on Children with disability, Children with autism spectrum disorder and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) for information about disability, services and support.

State and territory government disability agencies

Below are links to the government departments responsible for disability support services in each Australian state or territory:

  • Australian Capital Territory: ACT Office for Disability
  • New South Wales: NSW Department of Family and Community Services - Disability and inclusion
  • Northern Territory: NT Government - Disability services
  • Queensland: Queensland Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors - Disability Connect Queensland
  • South Australia: Government of South Australia - Disability
  • Tasmania: Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services - Disability services
  • Victoria: Victorian Department of Health and Human Services - Disability
  • Western Australia: WA Department of Communities - Disability services
State autism associations provide information and support for parents and carers raising a child with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Use our guide to state ASD associations to find contact details for the autism association in your state or territory.